The Saanich Predators are proud to have become a team of choice for many young players following the growing
tradition of the VIJHL. The league is emerging as the premier development Junior B hockey league in British Columbia and our team has a strong history of helping players move on to Junior A and/or Major Junior, NCAA Div. 3, and ACHA Div. 1.
We’re looking for players who have a strong work ethic and a goal of making it to the next level of hockey. Our focus is to help them get there by creating an environment of encouragement, achievement and teamwork and to build an organization that our members, players and our community can be proud of.
Personal growth for our young athletes is achieved through education, accountability, and respect for our organization, our community, our competitors, and the game of hockey.
Does your family have a passion for hockey? We’re always looking for new billet families for the Saanich Predators players.
Billet Familes are a long standing tradition in Junior Hockey. The hockey club greatly values billet families that host our players when they are away from their homes during the hockey season. Without the help of billet families, the players would not be able to play for the team.
Billet’s are invaluable to the Preds and we appreciate all of their hard work. Hosting a player in your home gives opportunities to junior hockey players that range in age from 16 – 20 years-old to compete at the highest level possible. While pursuing these hockey opportunities, many players are also completing high school, enrolled in post-secondary education or working part-time jobs.
- A clean, smoke-free, welcoming home that a player will feel comfortable in
- A private room with a bed and good mattress
- A private desk/workspace for homework
- Nutritious meals and snacks
- Support of team rule enforcement including curfew, community engagement, academic standards, etc.
- The same guidance and attention you would want for your own children (given they were in the same situation)
Billet families also serve as authority figures, role models and extended family to their assigned player(s). While hosts receive a monetary honorarium to help off-set some of the costs, the true rewards are in the lasting relationships that are developed. If you are chosen to become a part of our family, further details and information will be provided to you in our “Parent and Player Information Package”.
- Must follow all team and host family house rules and show respect for other host family members
- Must take care of their room, including keeping it clean and doing their own laundry
- Transportation to and from practices and home games unless other arrangements have been made with the host family
- If not attending classes, players are encouraged to seek part-time employment and/or be involved in the community
Note: All successful applicants will be subject to a Criminal Record Check.
If you are interested in becoming a billet family or require further information, please contact the Saanich JR Braves Billet Coordinator.